Herb for Candidiasis
What Is It?
Candidiasis is an infection caused by Candida fungi, especially Candida albicans. These fungi are found almost everywhere in the environment. Some live harmlessly along with the abundant “native” species of bacteria that normally colonize the mouth, gastrointestinal tract and vagina.
Usually, Candida is kept under control by the native bacteria and by the body’s immune defenses. If the mix of native bacteria is changed by antibiotics, the body moisture that surrounds native bacteria can also have subtle changes in its acidity or chemistry. This can cause yeast to grow and to stick to surfaces, so that the yeast causes symptoms.
Candida infections can cause occasional symptoms in healthy people. If a person’s immune system is weakened by illness (especially AIDS or diabetes), malnutrition, or certain medications (corticosteroids or anticancer drugs), Candida fungi can cause symptoms more frequently. Candidiasis can affect many parts of the body, causing localized infections or larger illness, depending on the person and their general health. Candidiasis causes different symptoms, depending on the site of infection.
Types of candidiasis include:
* Thrush — Thrush is the common name for a mouth infection caused by the Candida albicans fungus. It affects moist surfaces around the lips, inside the cheeks, and on the tongue and palate. Thrush is common in people with diseases such as cancer and AIDS, (which both suppress the immune system.) Thrush can develop in people with normal immune systems, too, particularly in people with diabetes or long-lasting irritation from dentures.
* Thrush — Thrush causes curdlike white patches inside the mouth, especially on the tongue and palate and around the lips. If you try to scrape off this whitish surface, you will usually find a red, inflamed area, which may bleed slightly. There may be cracked, red, moist areas of skin at the corners of the mouth. Sometimes thrush patches are painful, but often they are not.
* Esophagitis — Candida infections of the mouth can spread to the esophagus, causing esophagitis. This infection is most common in people with AIDS and people receiving chemotherapy for cancer.
* Esophagitis — Candida esophagitis may make swallowing difficult or painful, and it may cause chest pain behind the breastbone (sternum).
* Cutaneous (skin) Candidiasis — Candida can cause skin infections, including diaper rash, in areas of skin that receive little ventilation and are unusually moist. Some common sites include the diaper area; the hands of people who routinely wear rubber gloves; the rim of skin at the base of the fingernail, especially for hands that are exposed to moisture; areas around the groin and in the crease of the buttocks; and the skin folds under large breasts.
* Cutaneous candidiasis — Cutaneous candidiasis causes patches of red, moist, weepy skin, sometimes with small pustules nearby.
* Vaginal yeast infections — Vaginal yeast infections are not usually transmitted sexually. During a lifetime, 75% of all women are likely to have at least one vaginal Candida infection, and up to 45% have 2 or more. Women may be more susceptible to vaginal yeast infections if they are pregnant or have diabetes. The use of antibiotics or birth control pills can promote yeast infections. So can frequent douching.
* Vaginal yeast infections — Vaginal yeast infections may cause the following symptoms: vaginal itch and/or soreness; a thick vaginal discharge with a texture like soft or cottage cheese; a burning discomfort around the vaginal opening, especially if urine touches the area; and pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse.
* Deep candidiasis (for example, candida sepsis) — In deep candidiasis, Candida fungi contaminate the bloodstream and spread throughout the body, causing severe infection. This is especially common in newborns with very low birth weights and in people with severely weakened immune systems or severe medical problems. In these people, Candida fungi may get into the bloodstream through skin catheters, tracheostomy sites, ventilation tubing, or surgical wounds. Deep candidiasis also can occur in healthy people if Candida fungi enter the blood through intravenous drug abuse, severe burns or wounds caused by trauma.
* Deep candidiasis — When Candida spreads to the bloodstream, it may cause a wide range of symptoms, from unexplained fever to shock and multiple organ failure.
Candida Diet For Healing Yourself
When you make the commitment to deal with your yeast problems naturally, instead of the drugs the doctor will give you, you’re going to find that this diet is one that you will be able to stick with.
When you begin your yeast diet, there are two ways it can affect you. You may begin to feel better right away.. or if you are full of toxins, you may feel worse for a few days before you notice improvement. Either way is the right way for you. As you begin to feel better.. you may decide that it won’t hurt to cheat a little here and there. But it may. This is where you come in because only you know how you truly feel. And after you cheat, if you find that you feel awful, you will at least know what it is that made you this way. In any case, your healing will rest on your shoulders, and that is exactly where it needs to be.
Eventually, you will learn that you are in charge of how you feel by what you eat. And that’s the beauty of this type of healing. It really comes down to being responsible for yourself. The better you feel, the more you’ll do.. and the more you do, the more you’ll experience great health.
The Foods That Feed Yeast (Ones To Avoid!)
There are certain foods that feed yeast. They are very specific and I’ve listed them below. As you eliminate the yeast foods and pay attention to your body, any allergies to other foods will be revealed to you over time. Pay attention to your bodies responses, it’s your greatest ally when it comes to healing.
Avoid all fruits (fresh, frozen or dried), EXCEPT grapefruit, lemon, lime, tangerines, strawberries, cranberries, kiwi, currants, mangoes, bananas & fresh pineapple. Oranges used to be a part of this list but I have found that they cause digestive problems in the stomach in many people, so I suggest you avoid them as well.
Do not eat walnuts or chickpeas. Any other nut, bean or seed is okay to eat. The only vegetables to stay clear of are mushrooms and sweet potatoes, so eat lots of fresh veggies (remember, organic is always better for the body). Try to keep fresh and steamed vegetables separate from one another. If digestion is compromised, they may cause digestive problems if consumed at the same time.
No chocolate or caffeine. Very important! Small amounts of natural chocolates from the health food store are okay on a very limited basis to get over the cravings, but carob would be better. Water processed decaffeinated coffee is okay, but limit to one cup per day. Even better would be a coffee substitute that can be found at the health food store, such as Kaffree Roma. And stay clear of regular sodas, teas & city water.
The best things to drink are grapefruit juice or a natural lemonade. Well or bottled water is important as you will need to flush your system! Stay away from city water! Herbal teas are good as long as they don’t contain the fruits that are not allowed on the diet. Echinacea tea and Pau D’Arco tea are good for the immune system. For a treat, a natural soda such as one from the health food store is allowed, but again, don’t be abusive and watch the fruits! Mineral waters are fine, but again watch the fruits!Your sugars of choice are pure maple syrup, barley malt, rice malt, molasses, agave, & stevia. For those who do not have a history of sugar abuse, organic cane juice crystals and sucanat are also allowed. Very small amounts of honey are allowed – make sure they are last in the ingredient listings. Stay clear of refined white sugars!!
Meats, poultry and fish are allowed, except for pork which aggravates digestion. Keep your meats to small portions, no more than 4 or 5 ozs. per meal.
Yeast of all kinds must be avoided! Read labels – it’s in lots of ingredients including breads and crackers. Your bread of choice will be whole grain sourdough bread- up to 2 slices per day. Whole grain sprouted breads, such as Alvarado and Ezekial are also permitted – 1 slice per day.
Look for crackers that are whole grain and yeast free. You must avoid enriched foods, such as crackers, pastas, etc, as they usually enrich with yeast. Stick to whole grain or semolina pastas.
Avoid cow cheese. Instead, substitute with soy, rice, goat or sheep cheese. Soy & rice cheese now come in a variety of flavors, including mozzarella, Swiss, American, parmesan, sour cream & cream cheese. Allergies to cow milk may include bloating, colon issues, sinus problems, bronchial problems, and ear infections. Real butter is usually acceptable unless you are dealing with severe dairy allergies.
Eating a goat yogurt daily is often helpful but do not combine it with fruits. Instead use plain, maple or vanilla flavors.
Remember that anything that weakens the body will make the candida stronger, including artificial flavors, colors and especially artificial sweeteners, chemical preservatives and additives. Beware of BHT, MSG, etc. If you can’t read it, you probably can’t eat it!
Turmeric is A Natural Antifungal and a natural agent[amazon box=”B01DBTFO98″]
Look for condiments that contain the good oils, such as safflower, sunflower, or canola oil. My preference is to use mainly extra virgin olive oil. Tamari (a naturally fermented soy sauce) is okay to use in cooking, but not its chemical counterpart (regular soy sauce). Spices and herbs, especially fresh, are wonderful for the body!
Beer and wine are definitely not allowed! No alcohol would be best.
Important to Know:
Refrigerate your acidophilous supplement after opening it and always ensure that you buy a well known brand. An inexpensive brand may not have anything you really need in it. You’re worth the few extra pennies, and as you heal, you will become more and more aware of this fact every day.
Yeast cannot live in a body that “digests” properly. My experience has taught me this is the reason why so many people cannot heal their yeast. So heal your digestion!